KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, May 15, 2006

Da Vinci Code a Blessing?

Fr. Jim Tucker comments on the Da Vinci Code as a “blessing in disguise”.

Sure the book's silly, and people with immature faith can be harmed by it, and the movie will probably be even sillier. But it seems to me that anytime that religion and the secular culture come together, there is an opportunity for evangelization…

I don’t welcome this blessing. I agree that rather than just rant about the movie and how it offends us we need to make the best of a bad situation and use it as an opportunity to evangelize. However, this is very similar to the situation our Episcopal brethren faced when NBC was airing the dreadful series, “The Book of Daniel”. The national Episcoal church leaders welcomed the series as an opportunity for evangelization.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. (See post below) If that impression is bad, you are starting at a disadvantage. The book and movie, The Da Vinci Code, will provide a first impression of Catholicism for many people. I cannot rejoice in that. The popularity of this book among Catholics reveals the great deficiency in most Catholic’s knowledge of the Church. If our bishops are spurred to action because they realize the dismal state of adult catechesis then perhaps the Da Vinci Code can be welcomed. Otherwise, I view it as much more of a cross for the Faithful to bear than a blessing.

No comments:

ShareThis