KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pizza Dough Spirituality

Michelle at the Rosetta Stone asks, “What is your New Month resolution?” As she points out, we don’t have to wait for New Year’s Day to make changes and our changes don’t need to monumental. This reminds me of my “pizza dough” spirituality. If you have ever made pizza dough you know it has to be treated gently. If you stretch it too fast it just tears. So to fit my blob of pizza dough into my pizza pan I have to carefully push and nudge it little by little until it covers the bottom of the pan. It is a slow, steady, patient process.

Shaping my spiritual life requires the same slow, steady approach. I can visualize an ideal state for my prayer life. I would make time for the rosary every day. I would attend Mass every day. I would read scripture every day. I would set aside a time for contemplative prayer and reflection every day. I would remember to examine my conscience and say an act of contrition every day. I would go to confession at least every two weeks. The list goes on and on. Okay, I am nowhere near this ideal. If I tried to leap from where I am now to where I think I should or could be I am doomed to failure. However, I can make little changes. If I don’t say a full rosary every day, maybe I can say one decade. Okay, maybe I can say one extra Hail Mary. Can I increase my daily Mass attendance by at least one day per week? Can I read the daily Mass readings first thing in the morning, whether or not I attend Mass?

As I start July, my New Month resolution is to try and stretch my prayer life just a little bit. If I keep stretching day by day, month by month, I will grow closer to my ideal. Hopefully, I will also grow closer to God.

5 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

That was a very good description--pizza dough! As a fellow baker, I completely understand what you're saying.

Michelle said...

This is great, Denise. Of course, I feel like a heel: I'm going to take a bath once a week and you're going to get closer to God.

Sarah said...

I really like the visuals of this. Though I'm not a seasoned baker (I just "met" Rachael Ray in the last few months and am only experiencing my first joys in the kitchen), I can feel the truth in your comparison. Besides, pizza is the perfect food. What a great thing to use as a guide for your spirituality! :)

Kelli said...

Wonderful post and quite inspiring. I went through the RCIA program this past year, joining the Church at Easter and it's amazing how doing these things does make you feel...INSTANTLY...so much closer to God. Just making the time to go to Adoration helps me immensely. But I do need to get back into my daily routine of praying the Rosary.

Tausign said...

Pizza cooking Catholic Mom that was actually a 5 star recipe. Thanks for the invite to taste the cooking.

It's in giving we receive...so try my bean recipe...http://tau-cross.blogspot.com/2007/08/dont-soak-beans-til-tomorrow.html

[Sorry I haven't learned how to hyperlink in a comment yet. Maybe you could explain that trick to me]

ShareThis