KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Reading List for Catholic Women

Jay Anderson notes that the recommended reading and resource list for the Diocese of Cleveland Office of Women in Church and Society leaves a little to be desired. Granted, the authors are listed in alphabetical order but having Bella Abzug as number one on the reading list gives one pause. She is joined by Lavinia Byrne with her book Woman at the Altar: Ordination of Women in the Roman Catholic Church. The Amazon synopsis of this book states:

Lavinia Byrne believes that the Roman Catholic Church's teaching and pastoral practice is producing vocations to priesthood among women. This book looks forward to the day when Catholic women will be ordained, and addresses questions such as: when and how this might take place; who women are for and against; how women are organized; what the present-day Church thinking is on the subject; whether nuns are uncovering a call to ordination; and whether the ordination of women is a source of division or a source of healing.

How do these titles sound: Psalms in Inclusive Language and Praying in Inclusive Language, both by Joseph Arackal. I don't think so.

So if I were making the list, what would I include?

I would begin with the Apostolic Letter Mulieris Dignitatem by Pope John Paul II.

I would recommend biographies of female saints such as St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Monica, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Maria Goretti

True Girl magazine is a great publication for Catholic teenage girls and their mothers.

Okay, ladies, help me out here. What are the titles you think are good resources for Catholic women? Gentlemen, please feel free to offer your ideas as well. Let’s give Cleveland a list that really speaks to the “feminine genius” Pope John Paul II spoke of.

5 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

I'd recommend (no particular order):
Mother Teresa's "A Simple Path"
Danielle Bean's "My Cup of Tea"
Holly Pierlot's "A Mother's Rule of Life"
Lives of saints, particularly the Little Flower, Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Avila
Genevieve Kinecke (sp?), "The Authentic Catholic Woman"
"Keeping Your Kids Catholic" (thanks for recommending that one! It's great)
anything by Phyllis McGinley

Michelle said...

Brave New Family, a compilation of essays by G.K. Chesterton published by Ignatius Press.

I like Faith and Fanily magazine.

My girlfriend loves Canticle Magazine.

Lynne said...

I haven't read it yet but I've heard good things about Alice Von Hildebrand's "The Privilege of Being a Woman".

True Faith is good! We just started subscribing to that a couple of months ago...

Lynne said...

Oops, I meant True Girl...

Kitchen Madonna said...

Johnette Benkovic's book "Women of Grace" is ab-fab.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

Alice von Hildebrand rocks! If you have ever seen her on EWTN, she is a hoot. A very feminine one at that. Tine and feminine and with the mind of a philosopher. I think she wrote her husband's bio "The Soul of a Lion." Amazing. They've been opposing the social engineering project from the get-go.

I'll have to think of others. All of these mentioned so far are excellent.

ShareThis