KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, September 18, 2006

I Must Not Hate





Pictures like these are all over the internet. Some are saying Pope Benedict XVI made a grave mistake to make comments that would provoke such a violent response. I disagree. The Pope is not a politician. He is the Vicar of Christ. He is bound to speak the truth. If the truth causes turmoil, then so be it.

Also, most of those protesting have not read the full text of the Pope’s remarks. They are reacting to what someone told them the Pope said. In fact, I would be surprised if most of the Mainstream Media who are writing the reports have read the complete version of the Pope’s address. It is a very sophisticated scholarly address. One needs a working knowledge of European history to understand the references to the now infamous Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus. Of course, Pope Benedict was not speaking to a class of twelve-year-olds. He was speaking to a gathering of scholars in a university setting. His audience had the background necessary to appreciate the historical reference. The full remarks also carry a condemnation of the West for its exclusion of God from reasonable thought.

The whole idea that Islam is a religion of peace is a myth. There are peaceful Muslims. However, it seems they are peaceful in spite of not because of their faith. Read Drew’s post at Shrine of the Holy Whapping. He perfectly captures the difference between Allahu Akbhar (God is Great) and Deus Est Caritas (God is Love).

I am so weary of being asked to feel sympathy or empathy with Muslim outrage. All these angry Muslims remind me of frat boys in college. Remember those guys who used any excuse for a drunken party? The Islamic world seems to pounce on any excuse to justify hatred and violence.

Now the hard part. I feel anger. I feel frustration. I see the pure evil perpetrated in the name of Islam. Yet I must not let myself hate. I am really struggling with this. To allow myself to hate is to turn my back on the God of Love. That does not mean I am a pacifist. I will fight for and defend my Faith. I will fight for and defend my country. I will fight for and defend my loved ones. I just must not hate. Only with the Grace of God, our God of Love, is this possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having read your entry, I would like to say how its sad that the comments made by the pope, caused such disgust. If we said something like Jesus (upon him peace) has not a god but a Prophet, I am sure that you may or may not be offended. You would say that this is because we do not understand what you do, now the reason for such outrage, (which I do not agree with most of the protesting and reaction) because you (indirect) understand the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). As Muslims we dislike bad actions and not the person doing the action. Read the book Muhammad by martin lings and try understand that if you knew the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) you too would be offended.

I dont wish to cause you offence or upset and if I have by anything that I have said, then forgive me.

Catholic Mom said...

I am not offended by those who do not believe as I do. I do not relegate them to a second-class status of human dignity (dhimmis). I would not use this difference in belief as justification for wholesale slaughter of other human beings. As Christians we too say hate the sin but love the sinner. As fervently as I believe my Faith, I cannot justify the use of violence and coercion to demand others accept it. Relgious liberty is a fundamental right.

Don't worry about causing me offense. I cannot be offended by reasonable discussion.

Milehimama said...

The commandment to Love is why we pray for our enemies.
Fulton Sheen was convinced God had a great conversion in store for Islam, using Our Lady of Fatima and the Rosary.
We should pray (and continue to speak the truth)

Tim said...

Yes, Catholic Mom, we must not hate, good of you to point that out.

ShareThis