KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Such a Tyrant!

I mentioned before the Dueling Blogs of Richmond. I really enjoy the Richmond Catholic blog. I respect that it thoughtfully seeks solutions to Diocesan issues rather than just takes pot shots at those who disagree. The Other Blog is not updated regularly and seems to be filled with a lot more ad hominem attacks. I only read it if I am directed there by someone else’s comment or blog. Occasionally someone from The Other Blog joins the comments at the Richmond Catholic blog. Recently, the discussion was about maintaining a “diverse community of believers”. I commented that diversity cannot extend to Church teachings. We are one holy, Catholic and apostolic Church. Being Catholic means accepting Church authority. I was very surprised then when someone who disagreed with me surmised that I must be a real tyrant with my children.

Well, my response is to plead guilty. Oh, I am a tyrant! The kids go to Mass every Sunday. From the time they were small we have said family prayers. Poor things eat dinner as a family nearly every night. And I have pushed them into so many service projects. I enrolled them in Church apologetics and Church history courses. Oh it is has just been dreadful. Horrors of horrors, they even learned some Latin! Interestingly, the ones that have left home and gone away to college still go to church every Sunday, still read Catholic periodicals, and still intelligently discuss Church issues. They also understand that humble obedience to the teaching authority of the Magesterium is humble obedience to Christ who established that teaching authority with Peter and the other apostles.

If you want to find out more about “tyrannical parenting” remember in two weeks I am starting the Keeping Your Kids Catholic book discussion. Go ahead and get the book and read the first chapter. On September 20th we can begin discussing the first set of discussion questions.

3 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Give me more tyrannical moms!! I want my children (the ones not called to the priesthood or religious life) to marry the son or daughter of one! Keep up the good work :)

Christine said...

I had been avoiding that site, but decided to finally go over there. About the only people who post under anything but "anonymous" are those who support the bishop! And the ones who say things like "I don't want anyone connected with this bishop (emphasis mine) knowing my email address? Paranoia to the extreme!

I guess I'm a tyrannical mom, too. Sometimes I even make my kids go to (gasp!) daily Mass so they can have extra graces! And I guess the fact that my five year old started to cry at Mass on Sunday because she can't receive Communion yet just proves the point more.

What. Ever.

Tim said...

Poor things eat dinner as a family nearly every night.

That sounds like a real treat, actually. Keep it up!

ShareThis