KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, October 30, 2006

And a good time was had by all

As regular readers know, our parish only has altar boys. We have a great corps of young men serving at The Table of Our Lord. Check out the altar boy link at this web site and see what about fifty of our altar boys(including my son) and about twenty of their dads(including my husband) enjoyed yesterday. Actually while you are at the web site, check out the new program Fiat! for the girls in our parish.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi,

I live in the Diocese of Richmond and have read your posts on the Richmond Catholic website. My parish is starting an Adult Advisory group for the middle school students and I have been to a meeting. The youth minister has suggested lots of social (movies, dances) and service projects, but wants to wait to implement any "prayer" type of activities until the kids get to know one another better. I don't exactly agree with this, and I would like some suggestions or links to websites (like the fiat above) that I can suggest at the next meeting.

Thanks.

Catholic Mom said...

Jen,

The hazard with waiting to introduce "prayer" type activities is that it sends the message that outwardly religious activity is somehow separated from the rest of our life. Integrating it into the activities brings our faith into everything which is exactly as it should be. The kids have plenty of opportunities for pure social activity. You can't compete with that. What you are offering is an enjoyable oasis of Catholic culture. Go bowling, show a movie, etc. but integrate prayer into the activity. Make sure you pray at every meeting. Introduce them to the beauty of Catholic devotions. Say one decade of the Rosary for a special intention before you begin. Our alter servers took a field trip to see the Chronicles of Narnia. They met at the church and ate pizza while one of our priests explained the Christian allegory of the story. Then they went to the movie as a group. I've been reviewing one chapter of the book Keeping Your Kids Catholic every week. The last chapter dealt specifically with teens. While it is written for parents, I think the principles could be applied to a youth ministry as well. God bless you in your efforts!

ShareThis