_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, November 27, 2006

Feeling like Peter















I am feeling a bit like Peter. You remember how he tried to tell Jesus not to make the trip to Jerusalem? Part of me is telling Pope Benedict XVI to stay home. Why do you want to go to Turkey? There are some not-so-nice people there who really don’t like you. But I don’t want to be a stumbling block to the will of the Holy Spirit. If Pope Benedict feels called to go to Turkey, I will trust in Divine Providence.

The Vatican has a very nice summary of the goals of this trip. This journey is meant to be pastoral, ecumenical, and an opportunity for interreligious dialogue.

It is significant that the Holy Father’s first journey to a predominantly Muslim country begins in the very land from which Abraham, the common patriarch of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, undertook his journey of faith in God. It was from Harran, a village in present-day Turkey, that he set out in a spirit of total dependence upon God, trusting solely in the word that had been revealed to him.

The renewed memory of these common roots linking the three religions, which the Holy Father wishes to evoke in his journey, is an invitation to overcome the conflicts between Jews, Christians and Muslims that have taken place over the centuries.


So, my dear Holy Father, go if you must. Do be careful. I will be praying for you.

2 comments:

Stephen Braunlich said...

I would like to invite you to join the Virginia Catholic Alliance, a network of Catholic bloggers in Virginia. We work to promote one another's blogs, bring to light news that may have snuck past one another's views, and use the web to reach out with a Catholic message.

For the time being, the network consists primarily of a common blog roll. That said, we are gearing up to do other projects. In a little over two weeks Shaun Kenney will be hosting a live blog with Jeff Caruso of the Virginia Catholic Conference. As the Alliance progresses, we'll arrange other live blogs with leading Catholic figures for members of the VA Catholic Alliance.

If this is something that interests you, please let me know and we can progress to adding you to the blog roll.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas,
Stephen Braunlich
vacatholicalliance@yahoo.com
Founder, Virginia Catholic Alliance

Anonymous said...

Am trying to reach Denise Hunnell. I'd like to talk to her about writing for Military Spouse magazine. I can be reached at bmaxwell@milspousemag.com. TNX.

ShareThis