KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My Kitchen Sink Shrine


I am following Sarah’s lead and posting a picture of the view from my kitchen sink. From left to right my statues are: St. Benedict, St. Therese, Our Lady of the Smile, Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul II, Madonna and Child, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Immaculate Heart of Mary, and Our Lady of Guadalupe. The Madonna and Child used to belong to my grandmother and graced her kitchen sink window as well. This post by Suzanne inspired the idea.


If the kitchen is the heart of the home, then the kitchen sink is a main artery. We mothers spend so much time in front of the kitchen sink that it only seems natural to place an image of the Blessed Mother there. She stands before us as a blessing upon the home, a companion in our day's work and a model and inspiration to virtue.


Like Suzanne I have found the window of over my kitchen sink is a prayerful place. I do spend quite a bit of time there. I have collected an assortment of statues to remind me of holy lives that have gone before me. They also remind me to offer up my tasks as a prayer.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

What a beautiful view! And I love all the statues. I really need to go get some statues...of course, right now, you wouldn't see them for the piles (and piles, and piles) of dishes!

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I love it.

Catholic Wife and Mother said...

Oh, please tell me where you found a small statue of OL of the Smile!

My daughter wants one very badly, but the only ones I can find are fragile, large, therefore expensive. Not appropriate for an 8yo!

Catholic Mom said...

I am going to have to confess that my St. Therese of Lisieux, Mother Teresa, and Our Lady of the Smile were all "freebies" I got with various charitable donation solicitations. These little 1-2" statues are perfect for my kitchen window sill. I really don't know where to buy them.

ShareThis