KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Top Ten Memorized Prayers

I haven’t written too much about 7th grade CCD lately, but it is going well. The Confirmation preparation is proceeding along. (Other posts about confirmation preparation are here and here) It seems like we have hit a portion of the curriculum that is a series of lists: the seven sacraments, the seven cardinal sins, the seven virtues to oppose the seven sins, the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the twelve fruits of the Holy Spirit, etc. I am really trying to convince these twelve and thirteen-year-old students that these facts, committed to memory, are just the building blocks of faith. Just as you cannot read and enjoy a complex novel until you memorize the phonics that allow you to read, you must memorize some basic tenets of our faith so you can appreciate its depth and richness. I am sure nearly every class I have said, “Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation. It is not a graduation. You are only beginning to learn about your faith. This is a lifelong process!

In addition to the above lists, I have come up with a list of ten prayers I think they should know. Each of these prayers is included in the appendix of their textbook. I am going to suggest that as we approach Lent, they memorize and say these prayers on a regular basis as part of their Lenten project. My list (in no particular order) is:

1. Our Father
2. Hail Mary
3. Glory Be
4. The Apostle’s Creed
5. St. Michael’s Prayer
6. Act of Contrition
7. Anima Christi
8. Prayer of Fatima
9. Guardian Angel Prayer
10. Grace before Meals

If you were going to choose your top ten memorized prayers, what would you include?

3 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

I'd include (no particular order) the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Memorare, Morning Offering, Act of Contrition, Apostle's Creed, Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel, Grace before meals, and the Guardian Angel prayer.

It's good that you are reinforcing the prayers with your students, and not just your "facts to memorize."

Bekah said...

In addition to those listed, we regularly pray the Angelus.

Leticia said...

We are starting to remember to say the Angelus in our home, and it's truly beautiful to stop what you're doing and remeber the Incarnation.It puts everthing in perspective.

ShareThis