KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, February 05, 2007

Housekeeping Meme

Rosemary tagged me for the Housekeeping meme. Housekeeping is definitely not my strong suit, but here goes.

Aprons- Y/N- If I am going to be cooking a lot, for example getting ready for a party, making Christmas cookies, Thanksgiving dinner, etc. Also, if I am doing a major pick up session since I love the big pockets of an apron for putting change, toys, etc found out of place in one room and and carrying them to their proper destination.


Baking-- Favorite thing to bake: Christmas cookies. Probably because almost anything done in the Christmas spirit is fun, but also because my family is so happy when I bring out their favorite varieties. Each family member has his own personal favorite.


Clothesline- Y/N: No. I am very happy to pop things in the dryer.


Donuts-- Have you ever made them? No. I do make homemade cinnamon rolls that are a real hit. Making the dough in the breadmaker makes them a relatively easy treat. If I am really industrious I will make batches up ahead of time and put them in the freezer. You then just take them out the night before, let them thaw and rise on the kitchen counter, and in the morning they are ready to just pop in the oven. A pan of these unbaked, frozen, pre-made rolls is one of my favorite food gifts to give.


One homemaking thing you do every day—Dishes! Of course I usually cook dinner too. Oh, and make my bed. Kids are responsible for their own. Wish I could say they always made it.


Freezer-- Do you have a separate deep freeze? We have a freezer in the garage. It is an upright freezer not the chest type that I usually connect with the term deep freeze.


Garbage Disposal-- Y/N? Yes


Handbook—For recipes I go to Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Anything. For everything else I just do a Google search.


Ironing--Love it or hate it? Hate it. I tend to iron as needed. The kids and my husband iron their own clothes as needed as well.


Junk drawer--Y/N? Where is it? One drawer in the kitchen holds all sorts of miscellaneous stuff but I try to keep everything in little trays so we can see what is in there.


Kitchen: Design and decorating? We just moved into our home about 2 ½ years ago. The kitchen is very large and roomy and was well decorated when we moved in. I love the granite island in the center. However, I would like to get solid surface counter tops (they’re Formica laminated counters now) and remove the pink and blue striped wallpaper and paint the walls a bold burgundy. Since we are soon to have our third child in college as well as many other spending priorities, that dream is on hold.


Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking? Definitely cooking.


Mop Y/N: Yes, but probably not as often as I should.


Nylons:Wash by hand or in the machine?: washing machine in a mesh bag.


Oven: Do you use the window or open the door to check? I open the door.


Pizza-- What do you put on yours? My favorite has homemade pesto sauce made from the basil I grow on our deck in the summer. Then I add shrimp, tomatoes, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts. I make a whole wheat pizza crust. (again, using my breadmaker for the dough)


Quiet-- What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Blog, pray, read a newspaper (We get the Washington Post and the Washington Times every day), work the crossword, read a novel, etc. Actually most of my non-internet reading is done as I shuttle kids and wait for them at their activities.


Recipe Card Box Y/N? Yes, but my favorite recipes are copied into a little recipe book. I have had to buy a new book and recopy many of the recipes since the old one was becoming dangerously fragile. In our numerous military moves, that recipe book is one of the items we carry ourselves and don’t trust the movers to transport.


Style of house: Typical Northern Virginia Colonial


Tablecloths and napkins? I keep a vinyl tablecloth on the kitchen table to ease clean up and we use paper napkins.


Under the kitchen sink-- organized or toxic wasteland? I wouldn’t call it a toxic wasteland but it is not as organized as it could be. If it is for cleaning, it is probably stored there.


Vacuum-- how many times per week? Once if I am lucky for much of the house. However, I have a Roomba which I try to use regularly for the kitchen, dining room and entryway. Believe me, it really works! If they ever find one that does stairs, it will be a must have.


Wash-- How many loads of laundry do you do in a week? I personally do about four loads, but the family probably does ten loads per week.


X's-- Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off? No. I’ve tried, but I can’t keep up with the list.


Yard-- Who does what? I am responsible for all the flower beds and the big perennial garden that covers most of our back yard. I do often engage the muscles of my sons and husband for heavy tasks. We pay for a lawn service to take care of edging, mowing, and whatever else they have to do to keep the weeds and critters under control.


Zzz's--What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed? I turn off lights and check the doors. However, at Rosemary’s suggestion I looked into the Flylady. Wow! Her methods deserve their own blog post! So for the last few days I’ve been cleaning the kitchen sink before I go to bed. You know it really works!


It looks like most of my favorite homemakers have already been tagged, so I am going to just open this up to everyone. If you want to have a go at this meme, consider yourself tagged!

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Denise, I like your answers. You sound like a well-balanced homemaker (unlike me.) I'm jealous of the granite island. Would love the recipe for the cinnamon rolls.

ShareThis