KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Then again--Those Catholics really shouldn't have taken offense

John Edwards has decided to keep the vulgar Amanda Marcotte on his campaign staff after all. After it was reported that he was firing her the liberal blogs and other commentary were ferocious in their criticism. They vowed to work against him if he caved in to conservative pressure. I guess it seemed politically astute to offend the segment of the population that wasn't going to vote for him anyway instead of angering the segment that might vote for him. His actions are directed entirely by politics with no regard for what is right and honorable.
John Edwards said Thursday that he was offended by the "intolerant language" of two employees of his presidential campaign, in writings on their personal Web logs, but he said they would remain with the campaign.

"They have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone's faith, and I take them at their word," Edwards, a former U.S. senator from North Carolina, is quoted as saying in a news release. "We're beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can't let it be hijacked."



So I am not supposed to be offended when the Catholic Church is referred to as an ancient mythology that justifies misogyny? How overly sensitive of me. As I said yesterday when I first wrote on this, you know a man by the company he keeps.


UPDATE: Welcome to Buzzfeed readers who found my blog from their link.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I love how one woman said she voted for Kerry as proof that she isn't anti-Catholic. Um, Kerry's Catholic? He and Ted Kennedy just don't count.

Vile stuff. I guess all we can do is keep our eyes open and pray for conversions.

John said...

Kerry and Kennedy "don't count" as Catholics because ... you say so???

So who died and made you Pope?

Catholic Mom said...

Kerry, Kennedy, Pelosi, et al have very publicly displayed their disdain and disregard for Catholic teachings especially with regards to abortion, embryonic stem cell research, marital fidelity, divorce, etc. I think it is fair to say they are not role models for faithful Catholics. To be in communion with the Church means humbly obey the entire body of Church teachings, not just the ones you personally like.

And John, I don't believe I've seen you comment on this blog before. We like to keep the tone civil and discussion intelligent. If you would like to counter and offer reasons why Kerry and Kennedy do represent faithful Catholics I would love to hear your discussion. Please no ad hominem attacks on the other commenters. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well then, so I suppose you're adamantly opposed to GW Bush then, since he is pro-death penalty? I would hope so, otherwise, you're not Catholic.

Frankly, Catholic dogma is unethical and immoral, not to mention irrational.

Anonymous said...

http://www.uwmadisondems.org/blog/2007/02/edwards-blogger-controversy.php

Catholic Mom said...

George Bush has never held himself out as a Catholic in communion with the Church therefore his conformity to Catholic teachings is not to be expected. Kerry, Kennedy, Pelosi, et al do publicly hold themselves out as Catholics so their conformity to the Church teachings is subject to scrutiny.

And just for your information, I do in general, oppose the death penalty and would certainly not be unhappy if it were abolished. However, if one reads the Catechism of the Catholic Church as well as the documents from the various Vatican Congregations one sees that the Church does not in anyway equate capital punishment with abortion. It acknowledges that in the rarest of circumstances, a government may need to invoke capital punishment for the protection of its citizenry. Abortion, on the other hand is never permitted. Of course I am sure that since you made such a broad brush statement about Catholic dogma you have made a thorough study of the subject. To do otherwise would reduce your comment to name-calling.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Great responses, Denise. You tell them.

ShareThis