_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Voice of Reason in HPV Vaccine Debate

Virginia Governor Timothy Kaine recommends changes to the recently passed legislation requiring all girls entering the sixth grade to receive the HPV vaccine.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's amendment would eliminate the need for parents or guardians to submit written requests for their children to opt out of the vaccine, called Gardasil.

"While I believe that this vaccine shows great promise for preventing cancer, I believe that the decision to administer this vaccine should be made by parents," Kaine said in a statement.


I believe this is a very reasonable approach. As I wrote here, the decision to vaccinate does not belong to the state.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Denise.

I agree with you that this is fundamentally a parenting (rather than a state) decision. And yet, I've found it puzzling to hear the ire with which some voices in the Catholic community have been denouncing this vaccine ... It seems to me that there are some very good reasons for protecting a young woman in this way that have nothing to do with promiscuity. First, the likelihood of her future husband having had some kind of genital contact prior to marriage; second, the prevalence of sexual assault. I have an article coming out about this in Catholic Exchange in May ... I'd welcome your weighing in to the "exchange" if you happen to catch it. Blessings-- Heidi Saxton (heidihesssaxton.blogspot.com)

ShareThis