KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Triduum Begins



I just returned from the Mass of the Lord’s Supper. The Triduum has begun. My twelve-year-old was a bit irritated when he realized that Holy Thursday was not really a Holy Day of Obligation. This day falls into the category of Mommy Days of Obligations. Like Thanksgiving Day, our family will be at Mass. I cannot imagine ignoring the Mass that celebrates the institution of the Eucharist, the source and summit of our faith. We were blessed this evening with an inspiring liturgy. Even my pre-teen with the adolescent attitude came out of Mass saying, “That was an awesome Mass”. Our three priests concelebrated. There was plenty of incense and lots of Latin. The church was packed.



Tomorrow we will commemorate Our Lord’s Passion with the Good Friday liturgy as well as the Living Stations of the Cross. Our high school youth group offers this dramatic presentation of the Stations of the Cross annually on Good Friday. My daughter spent the afternoon practicing for this. She will spend several hours tomorrow in the final rehearsal. It is humbling to pray the Stations and reflect on the incalculable love God must have for us to have endured His Passion and Death for our salvation.


















Finally we will rejoice in the Resurrection on Easter. Like Mary Magdalene we will announce to all that Christ has risen! I am rethinking my Easter outfit since there is a freeze warning for Northern Virginia. Some forecasts even call for a few snow showers. In spite of these dire predictions, I will wear white shoes. I’ve been abstaining from white shoes since Labor Day. A few snowflakes will not hinder me from donning white pumps.

A Blessed Triduum to all. I hope you are able to take advantage of the many liturgical celebrations of the season. Follow closely the Passion of Christ and you will sing a heartfelt “Alleluia!” on Easter.

2 comments:

Ebeth said...

Denise, The pictures are beautiful, hope you had a good visit in Memphis....did you go already?

Happy Easter!
Ebeth

Barb, sfo said...

I love the Mommy Days of Obligation!!! We have those here too. (In fact, I think my kids would be similarly surprised if they thought about it!) Unfortunately we did not make Holy Thursday since TheDad was sick, but we got to Good Friday yesterday and plan to attend the Vigil tonight.

I never did understand why the Triduum is not a group of Holy Days of Obligation! It doesn't get much holier than this.

Blessings to you & your family on Easter!

ShareThis