KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Near occasion of sin in the garden?

I’ve been meaning to write about my own attempts to subdue creation when I ran across Jen’s post for today about Brother Scorpion and Sister Mosquito.

I admire the simple beauty of his lovely Canticle of the Sun, and am really trying to find that sort of ecstatic joy in God's amazing creations that are all around me. And, indeed, some days I too feel overjoyed by simply noticing Brother Sun and Sister Moon. It really starts to break down, however, when I see Brother Scorpion on my kitchen floor. I know that these are God's amazing creations and all, but I am not at a level of spiritual maturity when I can appreciate God's creations of the stinger- and pincer-having variety in my house.


I have made references to my ongoing battle with the woodland creatures as I try to grow my perennial garden, but I would now say that I feel I am in an outright war. Unfortunately, my enemy is of the cute little furry ilk that makes folks go “Oh, how sweet!” so I am not getting a lot of support for my campaign. I have planted only deer-resistant varieties of flowers and I think for the most part the deer are leaving my garden alone. However, there is a long eared cotton tailed varmint that is wreaking havoc with my rudbeckia (black-eyed-Susans) and my dianthus. The music of Wagner is playing in my head as I hum “Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!” For most of my life I have been an ardent ophidiophobe but at this moment, a large black snake sounds like a welcome ally.

I did not have this problem in years past, but in years past I owned a cat that wandered my property leaving his predatory scent for all the rodents and lagomorphs to smell. In reality he was a confirmed pacifist who gladly shared his cat food with the birds, but the garden-eating critters did not know that. His demise this past fall has left my garden vulnerable. I hesitate to get another cat because of my very active bird feeders. I really don’t think I can adequately interview a cat and determine his instinct for hunting. I think my Ghandi-like cat was an aberration of the species.

Which brings me back to my quest for a hungry snake. My next-door neighbor has a hole by her front porch that is nearly six inches across and into which she has seen slithering a black snake that is at least three inches in diameter and several feet long. I would like to lure said snake over to my yard around sunset and invite him to await a tasty morsel. Is it wrong to covet my neighbor’s snake?

4 comments:

Travis said...

Shoot the varmin and have rabbit for supper. :) Rabbit makes an excellent meal. Tastes quite like chicken, except better, in my opinion.

Catholic Mom said...

Travis,
As one whose paternal family ancestors settled in Vernon Parish, LA not long after the Louisiana Purchase and have remained there to this day, I do know something about the Louisiana approach to many pest problems: put it on the menu! I believe this was tried with the nutria infestation not too many years ago. I suggested roasted rabbit to my family and got such looks of horror that I am not sure I dare raise the prospect again. However, I have eaten barbecued rabbit and found it quite tasty!

Where fibers meet mud said...

Buy some coyote urine at the local feed and grain or garden store - works like a charm - the rabbit and the deer do not know the coyote do not live in southern Ohio but they stay away anyway. I learned this after having to replant my tomatoes - they even leave the lettuce alone! That is a very peaceful non-violent albeit deceptive solution and I think Father Sun and Sister Moon would be OK with it. Actually I think they chuckle at us all day long!

T with Honey said...

This has worked for me to keep rabbits, squirrells and deer away from plants. Mix 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp. of cayenne pepper and 2 tbsp. of Tobasco Sauce® in 2 cups of water. Let set for 2 days, then spray your plants to the point of run-off.

You'll need to reapply after any heavy rain fall but the buggers hate it.

ShareThis