KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Divine Office of the Kitchen

David L. Alexander published this last week so with a hat tip to The Man With Black Hat, I am sharing it with my readers as well.

Divine Office of the Kitchen


Lord of the pots and pipkins, since I have no time to be
A saint by doing lovely things and vigilling with Thee,
By watching in the twilight dawn, and storming Heaven's gates,
Make me a saint by getting meals, and washing up the plates!

Lord of the pots and pipkins, please, I offer Thee my souls,
The tiresomeness of tea leaves, and the sticky porridge bowls!
Remind me of the things I need, not just to save the stairs,
But so that I may perfectly lay tables into prayers.

Accept my roughened hands because I made them so for Thee!
Pretend my dishmop is a bow, which heavenly harmony
Makes on a fiddle frying pan; it is so hard to clean,
And, ah, so horrid! Hear, dear Lord, the music that I mean!

Although I must have Martha's hands, I have a Mary mind,
And when I black the boots, I try Thy sandals, Lord, to find.
I think of how they trod our earth, what time I scrub the floor.
Accept this meditation when I haven't time for more!

Vespers and Compline come to pass by washing supper things,
And, mostly I am very tired; and all the heart that sings
About the morning's work, is gone, before me into bed.
Lend me, dear Lord, Thy Tireless Heart to work in me instead!

My matins are said overnight to praise and bless Thy Name
Beforehand for tomorrow's work, which will be just the same;
So that it seems I go to bed still in my working dress,
Lord make Thy Cinderella soon a heavenly Princess.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy Love and light it with Thy Peace!
Forgive the worrying, and make the grumbling words to cease.
Lord, who laid Breakfast on the shore, forgive the world which saith
"Can any good thing come to God out of poor Nazareth?"



UPDATE: This lovely prayer is the work of Cecily Hallack. Thank you to the reader who shared this information.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful to see again ;it used to be in many Catholic kitchens.I had an original with the lovely little pictures.This version(complete) is very rare.The verses about the traditional liturgical Offices are usually left out.Cecily Hallack - a fine and holy Catholic writer - did it for a young violinist whose hands were damaged by hard physical work during the War. (replies,please, to : rpienne@eircom.net )
ALAN ROBINSON

Catholic Mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing the origins of this wonderful prayer. It makes it even more special.

lostigin said...

I just found this poem on a USO note in an old recipe box that was my Mom's - I think it is my Grammie's writing on it though - says "For Mom". I googled it to see what the origin was and enjoyed reading the whole prayer. I was looking for a pie recipe and some peace of mind for this Thanksgiving and found both!

ShareThis