KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Cats in the Cradle...

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me


This song by Harry Chapin was one of my favorites in high school. It had a haunting melody and was easy to sing along. I didn’t realize the poignancy of the lyrics until many years later when I became a parent. I am the model for my children. My behavior, my priorities, my values are their normal. Do I know what I am teaching them?

Apparently, too many parents have abdicated their job as role model. So much so that Senators Barack Obama and Dick Durbin have introduced legislation to make federal money available to schools that need to teach their students how to behave.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Barack Obama (D-IL) and Dick Durbin (D-IL), and Representative Phil Hare (D-IL) today introduced the Positive Behavior for Effective Schools Act (H.R. 3407, S. 2111), which directs resources to innovative programs designed to teach positive behavior as a way to improve school climate and make it easier for students to learn. Positive Behavior Support (PBS) programs define and support appropriate behaviors by explicitly teaching students about good behavior and including it as part of the curriculum.


I am all for giving children the skills they need to learn and good classroom behavior is one of those skills. However, I cringe to think about how good behavior is defined by government bureaucrats. We’ve seen how these bureaucrats have handled sex education: No sexual activity is ever described as wrong. Lesson plans include tips on picking out the right form of contraception and instructions for correctly using condoms. Students are encouraged to explore the possibility that they are homosexuals because homosexual behavior is perfectly acceptable.

What about the children who have learned good behavior at home? Are we going to take time away from their core subject education to cover lessons that should have been learned by the time these students completed kindergarten?

I am really tired of seeing my taxpayer dollars spent to make up for what parents have neglected. I am also tired of seeing these surrogate parent programs perverted into an indoctrination of a single political viewpoint. I can see it now: Good behavior is all about inclusivity to the point that there are no absolute standards. Good behavior means never confronting immorality because that would be judgmental. Good behavior means never mentioning God because it might offend others.

No thank you. I want to proudly sing the song and say “He’d grown up just like me” not “He’d grown up just like Hillary, Bill, Barack, and Rudy.”

5 comments:

Milehimama said...

To be fair, the parents that are my age (I graduated HS in 96) have been taught from quite a young age that parents are clueless, that you don't have to listen to them, that they might impede progressive education.

These parents are the ones who 10-15 years ago learned about sex at their school. THey are the latch key kids, all grown up.

Is it any wonder that they don't have a clue how to parent or what their rights and duties are as parents?

Ebeth said...

That's a shame, milehimama, but you are probably right.

CM, this is a rant of mine as well. I drove a school bus for the middle school for a year..17 years ago and those kids were horrible. Everyone kept saying: Oh, it's the age, they'll grow out of it." Well, they have, and this is what we have!?

While waiting for school to let out, the bus drivers all gather around one bus and talk. One driver was complaining that a girl would get on the bug morning and afternoon chewing and snapping her gum right behind him. Well, the warnings were given, the principal consulted, and finally the parents were called. The parent's response to this was, "Well, this looks like a situation between my student and the school system, not me!"

Ebeth

Barb, sfo said...

"I can see it now: Good behavior is all about inclusivity to the point that there are no absolute standards. Good behavior means never confronting immorality because that would be judgmental. Good behavior means never mentioning God because it might offend others."

This is how it IS now. Way too much "I don't want to impose my morality on someone else." So the only ones who wind up "teaching" morality are the ones who have no morals.

Jarhead said...

Dear Senator Obama:

With respect to Senate Bill # 2111, please be advised that the United States Government currently funds three such "Behavior Modification Facilities" already. Designed primarily for young men and women in their late teens and early twenties, these facilities have been teaching positive behavior for many decades now.

For young men living west of the Mississippi River, I would recommend a place in San Diego. For young women and for young men living east of the Mississippi, I would recommend a place in South Carolina called Parris Island. For those with a bachelors degree, I would recommend the OCS program at a place in Quantico, VA.

Should you have any questions regarding these facilities, please feel free to ask any United States Marine where they learned about Honor, Courage and Commitment.

Semper Fi.

Very truly yours,

The United States Marine Corps

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm a Navy wife, but I'll support that Marine any day!!

Blessings,

S in MD

ShareThis