KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It is Christ on the Cross--Not the MDG

Pray hard for our Episcopal brethren. I wrote here about the Episcopal Church transforming itself into the Church of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals. The transformation looked like it had progressed in November when this picture was taken at the Michigan Episcopal Convention:



Normally, I just patiently observe these innovations and pray the Chittister-McBrien crowd never become so influential in the American Catholic hierarchy that we follow the same path. However, now the Episcopalians have gone too far. The official web site of the Episcopal Church is now offering a Lenten Liturgy: Stations of the Millennium Development Goals When they parody one of my most treasured Catholic devotions and reduce it to the worst of peace and justice drivel I feel physically ill.

I truly love to pray the Stations of the Cross. I share Christ’s journey to Calvary. I reflect on His suffering. I acknowledge my sinfulness and am humbled He would endure such agony out of love for me and for all mankind. To take Christ’s suffering out of the picture and make this an exercise to reflect on how much I can do to alleviate human suffering is the epitome of arrogance. My own Lenten journey includes the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy but not to the exclusion of Christ’s most perfect work of mercy.

2 comments:

Ebeth said...

Alleluia, Girlfriend!

Rosemary Bogdan said...

You are so right. (I love to read blogs of kindred spirits.)

ShareThis