KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pro-Life Message in the Sports Section

Even in March I am not much of a basketball fan. I do follow the March Madness brackets especially when schools to which I have some connection are advancing, but I don’t think I have watched five minutes of a basketball game in years. So it was not the outcome of a game that brought me to tears as I read this morning’s sports section in the Washington Post. Rather it was this story:

Max Bass looks up to Flowers because the Wisconsin guard represents everything that has defined the Gaithersburg child's life -- tribulation, perseverance, diligence, triumph. Michael wears No. 22, just like Max.

Flowers, though, says Max and his family have done more for his personal growth and maturity than he could ever dream of doing for them. When you discover you are the idol of a kindergartner who has battled leukemia since he was 2 1/2 , Flowers says, you grow up in a hurry.

Read the whole story and make sure you have a box of Kleenex handy.

Now as heartwarming as this story is just based on the facts, I think there is a much more profound message within this narrative. This is a story about the value and dignity of every human life. This is a story about redemptive suffering. Only God can trace all the ripples that spread from each human life story. If left to us mere mortals to judge, we might declare a life shortened by disease or scarred by suffering as a tragic mistake. Indeed, Great Britain is allowing parents to test their embryos for their potential to develop cancers as middle-aged adults. Is a life cut down by colon cancer at age fifty really not worth living?

This is not meant to trivialize sickness and suffering. We are not meant to seek out suffering. I do not wish hardships or illness or tragedy on anyone. However, we are also not supposed to fear our crosses. We are called to remember that Christ has already carried the heaviest Cross—the sins of all mankind. When we join our suffering to His Cross, we will join in the glory of His Resurrection.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Is that the "cure" for cancer? Simply killing off any embryo with a cancerous potential?

ShareThis