KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running the Race

My daughter will be playing soccer in college next fall. The coach sent her a day-by-day exercise plan that begins this week. This regimen will make sure she is ready for the August pre-season. To say it is intense is a major understatement. Of course my daughter already trains hard but preparing for the college level of play steps it up a notch. The program requires a lot of running--and more running--and more running. Sprints, shuttle runs, distance runs—they’re all there. Like any good Catholic, she looked at this challenge and figured there had to be a saint ready to help her out. A Google search found St. Sebastian to be the patron saint of athletes. He is an acceptable prayer partner but she was hoping for someone a little more connected to her specific training. John Paul II was a soccer player so he is probably happy to offer his prayers for her endeavors. He was a goalie, not a field player, but that’s closer than just general “athlete”. Then this Bible verse came to mind:

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore, I run in such a way, not as without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified." (I Corinthians 9:24-27).

St. Paul! He understands what it takes to be a champion. He understands running. Looks like we have a whole team of saints for this training endeavor.

St. Sebastian, John Paul the Great, and St. Paul, please pray for my daughter that she may compete with honor and play soccer for the Glory of God.

1 comment:

Kitchen Madonna said...

Kudos for making the team. She'll run the race with grace, I am sure!

ShareThis