KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, December 05, 2008

The Fog has Lifted

My thanks to all who offered prayers. I am sure that is what pulled me through the last couple of days. Prayer and the constant care and attention of my dear husband and an absolutely yummy casserole from Michelle. I awoke this morning to find myself clear headed (no more heavy duty pain meds) and pain free. The surgery went as well as we could have hoped. All the pieces of my wrist were put back in place with the help of a metal plate and screws. There was no need for bone grafts or external braces. Now it is a matter of casting and healing.

Of course, there should always be something positive from every trial. Challenging times are opportunities for virtue. I am not very good at asking for and accepting help so I am discovering the virtue of humility that allows me to admit I can't do it all.

This Advent, I will not write Christmas cards, bake cookies and cinnamon rolls for the neighbors, or wrap pretty packages. If any of those things get done, it will be by someone else's hands. And most likely they will not do it exactly the way I would do it. And that is okay. It is actually quite liberating to let go of all these external pressures of Christmas. Christmas will come and we will celebrate the Incarnation--whether or not the cookies are baked or packages are wrapped.

Next year I hope to have two working hands and feet during Advent. I hope I can recapture this peaceful detachment to all the trappings of Christmas. If something enhances the celebration of Christ's Incarnation then it stays. If it distracts me from this focus, it goes. I don't recommend a broken wrist to anyone, but I am grateful for the peace it has given me this Advent.

No comments:

ShareThis