_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, January 23, 2009

I Was There!

I was there! Yesterday I gathered with hundreds of thousands—please note the mainstream media will only say scores, thousands, or even tens of thousands—to make a stand for the sanctity of life from conception to natural death. It was a joyous and uplifting event. Of course, the message of support from the President that we have enjoyed for the last eight years was missing. There were numerous members of Congress who joined us to make a stand.

This is not a Catholic event. Orthodox Jews and many Protestants were there. But it was striking to see the Catholic clergy and religious. I was excited to see the number of young priests and sisters. Take a look at the Sisters for Life. These young women are vibrant, beautiful, and just exude holiness. I would be honored to have my daughter be among their number.


I was also excited to meet up with my blogging buddy Rosemary. She was there with her three lovely daughters.

You know, the Washington Post coverage devoted as much space to the pro-abortion protesters as the pro-life group. But I never did see a counter protester. According to the post there was a group organized by a 16-year-old student at a Catholic high school. The Post reporter had to throw in this young lady attended a Catholic high school. I don’t think they would have identified her as a public school or secular private school student. They didn’t name the Catholic school. I wonder why? The other laughable aspect of the Post coverage is that it listed Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good and Catholics United as leaders of the pro-life movement. These two groups are shills for the Democratic Party and ardently pro-abortion. Their solution is not to provide legal protection to the lives of the unborn but to hand out contraception instead. Didn’t anyone ever tell them that both contraception and fornication are against Catholic teaching? The use of “Catholic” in their name is a lie. The Post coverage was also buried in the front section of the paper with only a grainy black and white photo that in no way conveyed the massive crowd. You know that every anti-war demonstration with twenty people gets a color photo on the front page. My little photo in front of the Supreme Court building shows more people than the Post photo.


It doesn’t do any good to write a letter to the editor. The Washington Post, like the rest of the media, is handily in the pockets of the pro-abortion forces. That makes it harder, but not impossible to get the word out. Thanks to the internet and media outlets like EWTN, The National Catholic Register, and Our Sunday Visitor, the pro-life message will not be a secret.

6 comments:

SrSharon927 said...

I certainly appreciate your pro-life stance. All life is, indeed, sacred. However, I wanted to clarify that Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is unequivocally PRO-LIFE and is promoting the Pregnant Women Support Act, which the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops fully endorses (see the following link: http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2007/07-206.shtml). This act does not have any provisions in it for birth control. I join you in praying for an end to the tragedy of abortion. Peace in Christ.

Catholic Mom said...

SrSharon927: I appreciate your support of the Pregnant Women Support Act. Tell me again about all those anti-abortion candidates Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good supported in the recent election cycle. You were one of the biggest cheerleaders for Barack Obama, the most ardent abortion supporter we have ever had in the White House. On the day of the March for Life he issues a statement praising abortion, indicating abortion is necessary for women to have the same opportunities as men. I am sorry. Support for Barack Obama undermines any claim to being pro-Life. I repeat, Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is a shill for the Democratic Party. No matter how hard you try, you cannot whitewash the fact that the Democratic Party is the party of the Culture of Death.

Jay Anderson said...

"... I wanted to clarify that Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is unequivocally PRO-LIFE ..."

And I want to clarify that I unequivocally have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Denise, it was so fun to meet you in person at the Supreme Court. I so love you blog and it was great to be able to put a face to the name. Thanks for trying so hard to make our meeting happen. (Potbellys was fun too:-)
It looks like we won't make it to the National Shrine. The girls really want to see the Capital, the White House and the Museum of American History tomorrow. I'm still hoping for coffee with you and Michelle but the schedule is getting more and more packed.

Christine Marie said...

It really was a beautiful day. I plan on blogging about the whole week soon, once I've recouped a little of the sleep I missed out on! :) It was great to see you amidst the craziness on Wednesday night -- thanks for your willingness to help get raffle tix if I couldn't find them.

Anyhow, what I wanted to point out is that one of our very own parishioners was in the Sisters of Life picture! Diane, who was a senior my first year at the parish, is now a postulant with the Sisters of Life. She is the one in the far right of the picture with a big blue backpack. If you look hard you can see that she has one of our "Life is very good" pins on her bag :)

Catholic Mom said...

To all,

I've turned on comment moderation since high school friends of the girl mentioned in the Post article are upset that I criticized her participation in the counter protest. She has every right to protest however when she holds herself out as a representative a Catholic high school there is a problem. Support for abortion is contrary to Catholic moral teaching. She should have just identified herself as an abortion supporter and left the Catholic high school student out of it. I do hope her school provides some feedback to that effect. If it doesn't, I would say her school is not very concerned with its Catholic identity.

ShareThis