_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

No Excuses

When I wrote yesterday that I took consolation from the Gospel account of the feeding of 5000 as I offered my mere one hour per week of catechesis to my seventh grade students, I really had no idea that today’s Gospel reading was this same passage from the Gospel of Mark. Having a chance to once again reflect on this reading, I realized St. Mark is offering a challenge as well as consolation.

Every time I am tempted to inaction because I can’t give enough money to make a difference or I can’t give enough time to make a difference or I am not enough of an expert to speak up or I am not skilled enough to offer any help of value or…or…or… excuses ad infinitum, I need to remember the five loaves and two fish. Jesus is God. He could have whipped up a banquet out of nothing. But he did not do that. He asked for our meager human offerings then multiplied them to create an abundance. It is not up to me to provide sufficient money, time, expertise and skill to solve the world’s problems. I am called to put forth whatever meager offerings I have and trust that Christ will take care of multiplying them and making them more than sufficient.

No comments:

ShareThis