KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, September 28, 2009

Convergining Roads

I am now back from another trip to Texas. This one combined business with pleasure. I visited with my parents in Houston and saw my daughter at Rice. Then my mother and I made a trip to College Station to work on plans for the rehearsal dinner for my oldest son's wedding. It seems like only yesterday that I was announcing the engagement and suddenly the December wedding is nearly upon us. For those of you who like this sort of thing, here is where we are having the dinner. This is a very old home in Bryan Texas. I was told this was the "city" home of the Astin family. Those with Texas A&M roots will recognize the name Astin. It is the same family for which Astin Hall is named. The house's history is somewhat unusual. After it was no longer a family home, it became a frat house. These frat boys must have been very different than those depicted in Animal House because they left all the original decorative moldings, hard wood floors, and light fixtures intact. The fraternity sold it to its current owners who use it as a venue for business and social events. I can say that it has been a pleasure to work with the folks at Astin Mansion to pick the menu and the decorations. This is really exciting.

The business end of my trip was a bioethics conference in San Antonio. This is really an amazing educational program that involves a total of four seminars from now through April. It is called Converging Roads and brings together a study of bioethics, health care, and Catholic teaching. There are three remaining seminars so if you would like to spend some time in San Antonio exploring this fabulous city and learning about Catholic health care ethics, take a look at the Converging Roads program.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Congratulations and blessings to you, your son and all your family from someone born and raised in Houston, with in-laws in San Antonio, and who just posted on St. Mary's at A&M!

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Looks like a lovely place for the rehearsal dinner. Really lovely. And the bioethics programs--- give me hope to know such educational events are out there.

ShareThis