_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

More Indoctrination Instead of Education

I am certain that if my children were just now approaching school age I would seriously consider home schooling. As it is, I am grateful I still just have one in high school. On Tuesday, September 8, President Obama will present an address to all students. President Obama is a political figure. He espouses ideas that are contrary to my family's values. I would strongly resent my young, impressionable child being part of a captive audience and subjected to political propaganda. Why do I think that might be part the agenda for this event? The Department of Education study guide for teachers that accompanies this activity includes the following questions:

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?


That is a very good question. The truth of the matter is these officials were elected by the people. If there is any listening going on, these officials should be listening to us. I am very uncomfortable with our elected officials being presented as trusted sages to young children.

The study guide suggests that after the speech children discuss the following questions:

What do you think the President wants us to do?
Does the speech make you want to do anything?
Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?


How about the question "Should we do what President Obama is asking of us?"

Hillary Clinton made famous the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child." I agree. Raising a child is made infinitely easier if there is a supportive community. However, Hillary Clinton's idea was to make the government the village. As a parent, I will choose my own village, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I am very much against this forced indoctrination of impressionable children. This is propaganda pure and simple. I'd like to know why Obama thinks he has the right to address the school children without the parents present. Originally the speech was going to include a loyalty pledge to Obama, put is supposedly has been removed. I had to explain to my eight year old child that one does not need to support the elected leaders to be a patriotic citizen in our country. Elected officials work for and are accountable to us, not the other way around.

Barb, sfo said...

Is this speech going to be televised so the rest of us can watch it as well?

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Denise, I couldn't agree more! It is so manipulative and all under the guise of helping kids work hard and stay in school What could be wrong with that? (to be asked sarcastically) On yesterday's news shows there was discussion of all the other presidents who have talked to schoolchildren. Has any other president talked to the entire nation of schoolchildren? I know many have visited schools, of course. The power grabbing that is going on here is very disturbing!

ShareThis