_____KITCHEN TABLE CHATS________

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Monday, February 28, 2011

Keeping my feet on the ground and my heart in Heaven

Yesterday Pope Benedict XVI offered these words in his Angelus address:

"Clearly this teaching of Jesus, while it remains true and valid for everyone, is practiced in different ways depending on our different vocations: A Franciscan friar may follow it more radically, while a family man will have to take account of his duties towards his wife and children. Yet in all cases Christians stand out for their absolute faith in the heavenly Father, just like Jesus" Who "showed us what it means to live with our feet firmly planted on the ground, attentive to the real situation of our neighbours and, at the same time, with our hearts in heaven, immersed in God's mercy".

I love the image of our feet firmly planted on the ground but our hearts in heaven. This is important as each of us considers our vocation. Our calling by God requires certain practical considerations. As a mother, the care of my children means meeting my children's physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. I do need to look forward and plan for the future. Yet none of these efforts is an end in and of itself. Each must be focused on the ultimate end of serving God's plan. When I am pushing my son to do well in school and prepare for college, it is not because he should be seeking mere earthly success. It is because he has been given certain gifts by God, and to fully use those gifts in God's service, he must be intellectually prepared. As my husband and I make career decisions, the choices are not guided by the standards of the world for professional success. Rather, they must be guided by how our professions serve our vocations of marriage and parenthood.

So today's prayer is that God will grant me the discernment to keep my practical, earthbound feet and hands always subservient to my heaven-seeking heart.

No comments:

ShareThis