KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Confidence of Paul

Perhaps because of or in light of my soccer sidelines observations this past weekend, today’s first reading and our priest’s homily about it had me squirming a little.

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may accomplish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
And now, behold, I know that all you among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom will see my face no more.
Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you,
for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. (Acts 20: 24-27)


Paul is anticipating his martyrdom, yet he approaches his Final Judgment with confidence. He knows he has faithfully represented Christ to all he has encountered.

How well have I represented Christ? Have I been a model of Christian truth, charity and compassion as I drove the crazy freeways around Washington D.C.? How about as I interacted with other soccer parents? Do I bring Christ’s love and mercy to my family?

I am afraid I cannot answer with the confidence of Paul. Fortunately Christ is merciful. I can ‘fess up my failings and receive God’s mercy and forgiveness. Then once again I can seek to faithfully declare “the whole counsel of God”.

No comments: