KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

May Flowers for Mary

Kelly Clark’s post from Monday reminded me that the month of May is upon us and it is time to make sure Blessed Mother is honored. I have gathered some wonderful bouquets from my garden and put them next to my Our Lady of Guadalupe devotional candle to celebrate Mary’s month. The peonies are just now blossoming. Their large fluffy pink blossoms are so fragrant. I also have painted daisies, a few remaining daffodils, chives blossoms, and rosemary sprigs with small blue flowers. It looks like my rose bushes will be putting out their first blossoms of the season within a week.

Like any good Catholic Mom I have my share of “little shrines” about the house. Of course almost every room has a crucifix. Pictures of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary grace the dining room. My kitchen window sill is home to little 3-inch statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Immaculate Heart of Mary, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother Teresa, St. Benedict and St. Therese of Lisieux. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and these little statues remind me to spend it in prayer. These icons are not idols. They are visual reminders of the heavenly Communion of Saints just waiting to join me in prayer if I but only ask.

As an aside, if you need a gift idea for a Catholic Gardening Mother (Mother's Day is May 14), try Catholic Traditions in the Garden by Ann Ball!

1 comment:

Barb, sfo said...

Thank you!
With the amount of time I spend in the kitchen, it would be wise if I had more reminders that I should be praying.
Maybe it's time to do a "statue shuffle" and bring a few in there!