KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

May is Military Appreciation Month

May is Military Appreciation Month. May 12 is Military Spouse Appreciation Day. May 14 is Mother’s day.

If you know of a Military Wife or Mother, let me suggest a gift idea: Chicken Soup for the Military Wife’s Soul. I do have two essays in the book (Spouse of a Soldier and Patriotic Women Bake Cookies ).

Proceeds from the book sales go to the non-profit group Militarysoul.org. From their web site:

The mission of The MilitarySoul Foundation is to make a positive difference in the lives of military families, military personnel and patriots by uniting and supporting kindred spirits.

To facilitate emotional and financial support to troops and their families.

To increase public awareness of the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces and their families.

To sponsor or participate in projects that improve the quality of life for troops and their families as deemed appropriate.

To document and preserve the esprit de corps of military personnel and families.

To maintain an interactive portal that will enrich lives by providing inspiration, resources and community.


Even if you don’t buy a book, please remember our military and their families in your prayers.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

My husband was happy about one thing when he deployed: he finally got some of those cookies that I was always mailing out. I never thought that I'd be Mrs. Happy Homemaker, cookie-baker, sewer of BDU patterned Christmas stockings, and top troop cheerleader.

Yesterday, I returned a borrowed lawn mower to the housing office. I got to my van before the man and said, "Don't worry. I got it." And I reached in and pulled out the light, electric mower. He started laughing and said, "You are some of the toughest women I know! Are you the service member?" I laughed and said, "No! Who do you think mows the lawn when the service member is away?"

It's a tough job. But I do think our spouses, at least, appreciate it. The general public is pretty clueless though.