KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mother's Day Draws Near!

Mother’s Day is just three days away so those of you who still need to do some shopping had better hop to it! I am blessed to have my own mother and my mother-in-law still alive and well. Presents to them were put in the mail yesterday. I did find some interesting references to Mother’s Day around the blogosphere.

Dawn Eden reports that Planned Parenthood has turned Mother’s Day into a fund raiser. Give an online donation to Planned Parenthood and an e-card will be sent to your honoree informing them of your donation. How precious! One of the cards says, “Every child a wanted child”. How true, Every child is wanted by God. The folks at Planned Parenthood just think God’s will isn’t nearly as important as a woman’s “right to choose”.

Not to pick on lawyers today, but someone is suing over a Mother’s Day promotion because it discriminates against men. Rob Vischer at Mirror of Justice points out this lawsuit against the Los Angeles Angels baseball team. It seems last year the team ran a promotion for Family Day Sunday that fell on Mother’s Day. Red nylon tote bags were handed out to all women over the age of 18. Michael Cohn alleges in his lawsuit this promotion discriminated against all males as well as fans under age 18. This year’s promotion will give away Mother’s Day Ladies’ Tote Bags to the first 25,000 fans over the age of 18, male or female. Of course this still doesn’t appease Mr. Cohn. His lawyer insists this promotion still discriminates against fans under the age of 18.

I know this Sunday is a time to honor mothers in a special way. I must admit I feel honored every day because God has given me the privilege of being a mother to my four children. With the prayers of our Blessed Mother and with God’s grace, I pray I can be the mother my kids need and deserve.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Goodness, I wonder how my mom would feel if I gave her one of those Planned Parenthood e-cards. I wasn't a "wanted" child...neither were 2 of my 4 siblings. Yet, somehow she managed to love us. But I suppose embraces life's little surprises is such an old-fashioned idea.

How about those promotions that give the first 10,000 children a free ball or cap or whatever? Doesn't that discriminate against those over 18? I'm so tired of the egalitarian idea that everyone should be treated the same. A young man today has just as much right to sit down on a crowded train as an elderly man or a pregnant woman. What children we've become.