KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, June 09, 2006

Let the kids (and parents) relax a little!

Earlier this week the Washington Post ran an article about the hectic life of the classroom room mother. She is the one who is making phone calls, recruiting volunteers, and planning parties. She is the uber-volunteer. I’ve been there and done that. I used to have the helium hand. Every time someone asked for a volunteer my hand just floated upward. Perhaps because I am now on my fourth child completing sixth grade, I just don’t have the enthusiasm I used to generate for all these school parties, carnivals, and projects.

My lack of excitement may also stem from the fact these events have just mushroomed. Elizabeth Simon of Fairfax suggests this as well in her letter to the editor in this morning’s Washington Post.

… we take everything to the extreme, that parental involvement in our schools has become an extreme sport. I fail to see how the constant frenzy of activity benefits our children. Let's pay our teachers a decent wage to educate our kids and dial down the expectation that school needs to be a year-long carnival.

Amen, Elizabeth! I can’t stand the video arcade atmosphere of some classrooms. The kids are already involved in sports, church activities, scouts, music lessons, etc. Let’s let them chill a little bit and just learn.

1 comment:

Barb, sfo said...

OH, yes! I think our kids benefit more from a casual, less-crazy atmosphere. And the bar is being set higher and higher.