KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Parent Letter from a Catechist

I am going to be teaching seventh grade CCD this year. We do most of the preparation for confirmation during this year since Confirmation is usually scheduled for the fall of the eighth grade year.I have composed a letter to the parents to try and keep them active in their children's religious education. I thought I would post it here and get your feedback before I send it out in a couple of weeks.

I am privileged to be your child’s seventh grade CCD teacher for the 2006-2007 school year. This is a very important year. We will focus on your child’s preparation for confirmation. Of course, you have already been preparing your child for this sacrament for many years. You are the primary catechist for your child. You show how important your Faith is by making Mass attendance a top priority and by family prayer.

Confirmation is one of the Sacraments of Initiation. It is a beginning. It is not a graduation. This year we will work to solidify the foundation of your child’s Catholic Faith. However, building upon this foundation is the work of a lifetime.

Your child needs to see that you are still growing and developing your Faith. At a minimum, every home should have a copy of a Catholic Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. When you talk to your child about moral issues, read what the Catechism says about the topic. I also highly recommend the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, as well as Catholic periodicals that are faithful to the Magesterium. The National Catholic Register and Our Sunday Visitor are good choices in addition to our own diocesan paper, The Arlington Catholic Herald.

Reflect on the weekly Scripture readings and the homily and share your thoughts with your child. Consider how your faith influences your work, your social activities, your family decisions and talk about it with your child. Communicate the daily relevance of your Faith.

This year we will be talking a lot about the saints that are recognized by the Church. Please try to display a calendar that notes the various Church feasts and Holy Days. Share your own favorite saints with your child. The saints are our role models as we strive to respond to our own call to holiness.

I am very pleased to have the opportunity to support your efforts to pass on our Catholic Faith to your child. May God bless us as we travel together over the next few months on this journey of Faith.


What do you think?

5 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

I think this is very good and comprehensive.

Re: the Bible and Catechism....
I'd like to suggest that the Religious Education department look into a bulk buy of those items. Find out what the cost would be to purchase them in quantity. Invite the families to pre-order those books at the bulk rate. In other words--make it easy for them to get these items that you are recommending!

Michelle said...

Wow. Great letter. If you were my kid's teacher, I'd be reassured of your commitment to truth and Catholic teaching.

Sarah said...

I think that if you were a catechist at our parish, my kids would be enrolled! OK, actually, I would probably find a way to mesh with you and be a part of a small group. I'm really buying into the whole mindset of parent as first catechist (and in that vein, struggling with do-I-really-homeschool and can-I-do-that?!). Thanks for sharing this!

Your letter is very thorough and it sends a clear message that not only do you mean business and take your job as catechist seriously, but that you view it as a team effort. Wow!

Wendy said...

Hi Catholic Mom

I am a first year Catechist teacher 5th grade and was searching the net for some guidance on writing my first letter to the parents to introduce myself and came across your letter. I am amazed at how you captured the thoughts and importance that parents have in developing their childrens faith. Do you mind if I borrow some of your content to include in my letter?

Catholic Mom said...

Wendy,

I am happy to have you use any post on my blog as a resource for your work as a catechist. I don't think most parents have been told they are responsible for their child's religious education. You might also like the post outsourcing religious education.