KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Monday, August 14, 2006

Where are our Bishops?

Thomas at American Papist brings to our attention a USA Today article claiming that Abp Antoninus is a “pro-choice” Catholic saint. Thomas has pledged to research the truth about St. Antoninus and has asked for help from his fellow bloggers and readers.

That topic in and of itself is interesting enough. Yet, what caught my attention even more was one of the comments to this post:

Once again, we have a very liberal Protestant pastor quoting a very liberal Catholic ex-priest in a major US publication telling Catholics worldwide that it is ok to be in favor of an abortion. Heck, the pro-choicers even have a patron saint, and where are the bishops?

Where there is silence there is consent?


Where are the bishops? That is an excellent question. Why should Thomas and all of the rest of us in the blogosphere have to muddle through this? When a nationwide publication publishes such an affront to Catholic teaching and uses a probably incorrect account of Church history to do it, our shepherds have an obligation to respond swiftly and loudly. When my child comes to me with some incorrect “facts” he learned on the playground I correct them immediately. I do not wait for him to mull these “facts” over and try to figure out their truthfulness on his own. I correct his misconceptions immediately so there is no chance for him to absorb any of the falsehoods as truth.

The DaVinci Code brouhaha showed that in general we are a pretty poorly catechized flock. Some of us down here in the trenches are doing our best to correct this. But we need the leadership of our bishops.

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Indeed, we certainly do, particularly on the life issues. We must pray for them.