KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Busy Week for Guardian Angels


It has been one of those weeks. Four days ago I got the phone call that my daughter had been hurt in a soccer game. We spent the rest of the night in the emergency room. Her soccer was put on hold for a couple of weeks, but nothing too serious. She should have a prompt full recovery.

Even though my daughter couldn’t play, this morning we traveled to Richmond for a tournament. Just before the game, one of the mothers was visibly upset. She just received a phone call her son had been in an accident and was in the hospital. Details were sketchy. I offered prayers and we chatted about how we still worried when the kids were grown and far away. A follow-up call indicated her son would be okay in a few days. A few hours later I needed the prayers as I received the phone call that my oldest had been in a car accident. He called. He said he was fine. The car was totaled. I feel emotionally overwhelmed knowing how bad it could have been and how blessed I am that he is safe and sound.

I really am ready to put everyone in a padded room for a few days. I think we have given our guardian angels quite the workout this week. In spite of these unfortunate incidents I really do feel very grateful. These events could have been catastrophic. Many parents I know have not been so fortunate. Looking back, it was really very nice to have children small and underfoot. I had so much more control and could keep them safe. Now they have spread their wings and I am left on my knees, counting my blessings and praying hard.

2 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

I'm glad everyone is OK!! I imagine you are still shaking as you must have been when you got that call about the accident. It is scary when they spread their wings.

Ebeth said...

I don't know about you, but I seem to "white knuckle it" through parenthood. Thank goodness for my faith and the gift of prayer AND guardian angels! Glad it all resolved well for you and your brood.