KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, March 19, 2007

Sounds of Silence

My house is amazingly quiet this morning. I am alone in the house for the first time in two weeks. First I had my son home from Rice University for spring break, and then the next week my son from Texas A&M was home for his spring break. They did overlap for a couple of days so I had one Mass with all my children in the pew. It was glorious!

I am not sure why I am so aware of the silence this morning. My boys did a good job of sleeping until the crack of noon every day so I really didn’t hear a sound from them in the mornings. Yet this morning their absence is palpable. It was a great comfort to my heart to have them so close.

So as I work I am filling the silence with music and consoling my heart with prayer.

3 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

It almost sounds like a First Day of School Nap was in order today!

I enjoy the quiet too, but I do miss my kids and husband on Mondays.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I know this feeling. How wonderful that you had all your children home for a brief time. Maternal feelings don't just leave when the job is done, do they.

Argent said...

My weekend was silent, too. Our youngest, a daughter, was the only one home, but she's pretty quiet, and the only sound to break the silence was her practicing the violin. So I understand the consolation of music. Except I dug out recordings of the boys when they were still boy sopranos singing in a schola. Now, they're all baritones. Where did time go?