KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Motherly Act?

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."—Mother Teresa


These words of Mother Teresa are the only fitting response to Caitlin Moran’s disturbing editorial in the Online Times.

My belief in the ultimate sociological, emotional and practical necessity for abortion did, as I have mentioned before, become even stronger after I had my two children. It is only after you have had a nine-month pregnancy, laboured to get the child out, fed it, cared for it, sat with it until 3am, risen with it at 6am, swooned with love for it and been reduced to furious tears by it that you really understand just how important it is for a child to be wanted. And, possibly even more importantly, to be wanted by a reasonably sane, stable mother. Last year I had an abortion, and I can honestly say it was one of the least difficult decisions of my life. I’m not being flippant when I say it took me longer to decide what work-tops to have in the kitchen than whether I was prepared to spend the rest of my life being responsible for a further human being. I knew I would see my existing two daughters less, my husband less, my career would be hamstrung and, most importantly of all, I was just too tired to do it all again. I didn’t want another child, in the same way that I don’t suddenly want to move to Canada or buy a horse. While there was, of course, every chance that I might eventually be thankful for the arrival of a third child, I am, personally, not a gambler. I won’t spend £1 on the lottery, let alone take a punt on a pregnancy. The stakes are far, far too high.


Ms. Moran’s logic does raise many questions. If she grows weary of one of her living daughters, will she kill her as well? If you read the entire piece you see that Ms. Moran believes life begins when a mother says it begins. Period. In her words, “Abortion is the ultimate motherly act.”

Of course, this narcissistic view of human dignity is the hallmark of the culture of death. The value of others is based on their value to me. There is no intrinsic dignity in human life.

It seems to me this view of humanity would lead to great personal insecurity. How sad to feel one’s dignity is earned. How liberating to feel that my dignity and value are there merely because I exist, created in the image of God.

I do hope Ms. Moran understands when one of her daughters tells her, “I’m sorry, Mum. I just can’t continue to care for you. You see it takes away from the time I can spend with my children and my husband, it hampers my career, and most importantly of all, I am really just too tired to keep this up. I am just going to have to put you down.”

(H/T to Argent for the link.)

3 comments:

scmom said...

This Mother Teresa quote is my new bumper sticker. My husband says it's a little "militant." He's worried about my new ride being maliciously damaged. I'm proud of my new militance! I'm proud to bear the quote of such a great saint.

Good post. It is always very hard for me to understand how a woman who has born a child could dispose of one so easily. It is heartbreaking. Her logic is ludicrous.

Anonymous said...

Chilling.

I wonder how she will respond to her children when they ask her one day (and they will), why she aborted their brother or sister?

These children will spend the rest of their lives wondering who this lost sibling could have been, what nieces and nephews they could have one day had and even the lost cousins their own children could have known.

judy m.

Leticia said...

Her daughter won't have to tell her mom she's a burden, the nurse will probably do her in as a service to humanity.
My brother's a trauma nurse, and makes these decisions daily; he told me that Terri Schiavo's soul had left her body before she was dehydrated to death, so Michael was merely reuniting her soul and her body. This is the horrible 'medical ethics' training our nurses get today. Beware!