KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, April 19, 2007

With God's Grace

My God is the rock where I take refuge; my shield, my mighty help, my stronghold (Ps. 18: 3)

After Mass this morning I made my coffee and settled down to read the Washington Post. I spent the next half hour crying as I read the chronological account of the Monday’s terror at Virginia Tech. It was so upsetting. But I had to keep reading because this is all that is truly knowable.

We can piece together the chronology of the shooter’s actions, the university’s response, and the students’ responses. But that chronology will never really tell us why this happened. There will be all sorts of theories and speculations about the underlying pathology of Cho Seung Hui and what set him off on his mission of carnage. There will be rounds of second-guessing the Virginia Tech administration’s decisions. But these are all hypothetical musings. We will never really know.

Jesus said he wanted us to be in this world, but not of this world. Our faith teaches us to keep our sights on Heaven.

The one who comes from above, is above all. The one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things. But the one who comes from heaven is above all. (Jn 3:31-34)

But this earthly world sure does hurt sometimes. It is often hard to see Heaven through these tears. So we fall back on our faith. We believe even when we can’t see. We quit trying to figure it all out and just trust. Trust that God did not abandon us on Monday at Virginia Tech. He will not abandon us any other time sin rears its ugly head. He is there with His Mercy and His Grace. His Grace brings forth humility, kindness, temperance, chastity, patience, generosity, and diligence in the midst of great evils. His Grace gives us Faith, Hope, and Love. With His Grace we can keep our sights on Heaven, even when tears make it hard to see.