KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

If that is what you mean by support, please take it elsewhere.

How many ways can John Edwards tick me off? First he supports anti-Catholic bigots. Now he is urging his supporters to use Memorial Day as a day of anti-war activism.

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards is calling on his supporters to turn this year's Memorial Day into a day of antiwar activism, saying that the best way to honor the troops is to demand an end to the Iraq war.


Never mind that this is the day we are supposed to honor those who have given their lives in the service and defense of our country. I believe James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal puts it best:

"Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards is calling on his supporters to turn this year's Memorial Day into a day of antiwar activism, saying that the best way to honor the troops is to demand an end to the Iraq war," the Washington Post reports. Edwards, who voted for the war, has set up a Web site for his effort.

Andrew Sullivan has observed of Edwards, "He's pretty, he has flowing locks, he's young-looking." But as lovely as Edwards may be on the outside, it is ugly to try to turn a solemn day honoring those who died in the service of their country into a political stunt.

What'll he think of next, turning Christmas into a day of pro-abortion activism?

I would like Mr. Edwards to know that I am a military veteran. My husband is still on active duty and is a combat veteran. My son will be commissioned as an Army officer in one year. We do not consider Mr. Edwards’ denigrating the current military efforts for his own political gain as support of the troops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud to be one of your fans, Dr. Hunnell.