KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Garden Survivors

The battles continue in my garden. The bunny remains at large. A groundhog had joined forces with him. In fact this groundhog had established a bunker just outside my front door. My oldest son, with all the cunning of Wile. E. Coyote, has been setting traps for my furry adversaries. The groundhog became a prisoner on Friday. He was transported to a local park several miles away. I am hoping he is not equipped with a sophisticated homing device.

In spite of these enemy assaults, some plants in my perennial garden are thriving.



Daisies! I have an abundance of daisies. I was supposed to have a variety of coneflowers joining the daisies, but the coneflowers were too tempting to the enemy. Apparently my daisies are not as appetizing. They do make lovely bouquets.



This is a John Paul II cultivar of clematis. I am so happy because I planted this three years ago and this is the first year it has bloomed. I think it is because I learned to properly trim the ends to stimulate blooming.



Every year I buy two or three Easter lilies to decorate the inside of the house. Then after Easter I put them in the garden. This year most were nibbled to a nub but this little clump survived.



This blue speedwell is another survivor



This lone coreopsis bravely blossoms

A clump of lavender and a large catnip bush provide some herbal flowers.















I love the colors of the red monarda (bee balm), hybrid lilies, and blue monkshood














Finally,these hydrangeas are beautifully filling vases in my home.

1 comment:

Barb, sfo said...

I'm really garden-impaired so it impresses me greatly when someone can grow beautiful flowers like those! I have never seen clematis before but they are lovely! Enjoy the beauty of your garden :)