KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, June 29, 2007

On a more positive note...

Here is a beautiful post from Fr. Dwight Longenecker that puts the Mass in perfect perspective. It is a needed antidote after a bit of ranting on liturgical music. Even when the music, the architecture, the homily, or something else about a Mass is less than ideal, the Truth of the Mass cannot be overshadowed.

I robed and walked in with the server and the deacon with a plea for forgiveness on my lips and an awareness that I was feeling weak and tired and I really had nothing to offer at all except my time. Then at the heart of the Mass was a tremendous silence. The liturgy of the Church was waiting to welcome me. Not my words, not my wisdom, not my clever thoughts, but the Word of God, the gospel of Christ and the liturgy of Holy Mother Church to gather me up and bear me along. I looked out at the faces of the faithful---nearly a hundred people who had turned up--were waiting for God, waiting for his Word, waiting for his presence. It was too much, and I felt quite overwhelmed by it all.


I needed to read this as I will be headed south to Virginia Beach this weekend and will be attending Mass in the Diocese of Richmond. In spite of the quirky innovations for which this diocese is famous, I will still hear His Word and receive Our Lord in the Eucharist.

3 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

What a lovely post.

Mary Ann McGrath said...

I don't know if you'll be close to Chesapeake, but the Fraternity of St. Peter says Mass at St. Benedict's. I doubt that you will encounter any "quirky innovations" there. There is a low Mass at 8am and a sung Mass at 10:30am on Sundays. Safe travels!

http://www.stbenedict-chesapeake.com/massschedule

Catholic Mom said...

Mary Ann,

Thanks for the info. The Mass times at St. Benedict's didn't work for us this time, but perhaps next visit. We did attend Mass at St. Matthew's on Saturday evening and it was very nice. I wish someone could tell me the history of their massive statue of Jesus that hangs over the altar. It is not a traditional crucifix or even a Risen Lord crucifix. It is a massive silver metal sculpture of Jesus that must be at least 20 feet high.