KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, June 25, 2007

Parents Pay for Parenting

In light of my earlier post, I found this news article interesting:

While the Freddie Bell James school - named for D.C. socialite and professional etiquette consultant Freddie Bell Jones, Thomas' grandmother-in-law - does not teach morals, "we do teach values," Thomas said.

"It's the small things," Thomas continued, "Like when you're at a grocery store, putting the shopping cart back instead of leaving it in the parking lot. Or knocking before you enter a room, or saying 'please' and 'thank you.' When you borrow something, returning it in the same condition. Respecting other people's opinions.

"It's about having integrity. They're not 'save the world' changes, but they're courtesies, and that makes a difference."


I wonder how much parents are paying someone else to teach their children to say "please" and "thank you".

4 comments:

Jim said...

"I wonder how much parents are paying someone else to teach their children to say 'please' and 'thank you?'" -- Dr. Hunnell

I have to imagine that precious few parents -- the successful ones, at least -- would ever find the need for a "professional etiquette consultant."

On a somewhat related note, something tells me that parents of the six year-old featured in the following video clip are doing a great job raising their children, sans the personality coaches:

"I missed you too, Daddy." (6 year-old waits 7 months for a hug.)

Catholic Mom said...

Jim,
What a great video clip! I can really relate because I remember when my husband came home from Desert Storm. Our kids were ages 4,3, and 1 at the time. It was a very emotional reunion.

While being a military family has its share of heartaches and sacrifices, it also has many benefits. Our children know what it means to serve a cause bigger than yourself. They have seen living examples of honor, duty, service and commitment.

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Parents are the primary educators are't they..good post

Jim said...

"While being a military family has its share of heartaches and sacrifices, it also has many benefits. Our children know what it means to serve a cause bigger than yourself. They have seen living examples of honor, duty, service and commitment." -- Dr. Hunnell

And our nation is better because of the sacrifices made by yourself, your husband and your family. Please accept my thanks.

Incidentally, I am glad you liked the video.