KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, September 10, 2007

The Story

This past week we had our orientation meeting for catechists. I have to admit I sometimes cringe at having to attend these meetings. I had more than my share of bureaucracy during my working days, so I approach anything that hints of an administrative meeting with a bit of trepidation. I was pleasantly surprised. Only a small portion of our meeting dealt with administrative details. Our new catechetical leadership wants to feed our souls so that we are ready to feed the souls of the students in our classes. The highlight was the presentation of The Story by our new assistant Director of Religious Education. In a matter of fifteen minutes or so, he took us from the mystery of the Trinitarian God, through creation of the angels, the rebellion of Satan, the creation of Man, the Fall, the promise of Redemption, the revelation through the Old Testament Prophets, the “fiat” of Mary, the Incarnation, the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of Christ, the founding of the Church and the continuing of this Salvation History as we, the Church Militant, continue our earthly pilgrimage towards Heaven.

I now have approximately thirty hours to teach a class full of seventh graders The Story. I need to convince them each of us is called to holiness and is an integral part of Salvation History. Through the Church and her Sacraments, we are given the pathway to holiness. God invites each of us to join His Story, but it is up to each of us to accept.

Last year I just covered each chapter in our textbook. This year I hope to begin with the broad theme of The Story and then use each chapter to fill in the details. With a little help from the Holy Spirit, I hope I can convey to my students a unified picture of our purpose, our raison d’etre. We are here to know God, to love God, and to serve God here on earth. We will then spend eternity loving and praising Him in Heaven. If Heaven is the goal of our earthly journey, the Church is our roadmap for getting there.

Do say a prayer for all catechists. Pray that we can convey the Good News of Salvation to the children we teach. Pray the parents of these children will welcome the Good News into their homes and build up their domestic churches. Pray that we can all embrace The Story as our own.

No comments: