KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Monday, October 22, 2007

A Legacy of Virtue

Then he told them a parable.
“There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
He asked himself, ‘What shall I do,
for I do not have space to store my harvest?’
And he said, ‘This is what I shall do:
I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.
There I shall store all my grain and other goods
and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you,
you have so many good things stored up for many years,
rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’
But God said to him,
‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’
Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself
but is not rich in what matters to God.”

Today’s Gospel reading is a familiar parable. Perhaps it is too familiar. It is very easy to tune this out and say, “Oh, I know this one. No need to pay much attention.” That is why I am very thankful to Fr. Gould, the priest who said Mass this morning. He offered a new twist to think about. It is especially timely considering my previous post.

Father offers this parable as a lesson for parents. We want to provide everything we can for our children. We want to offer them earthly treasures. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. However, if our focus becomes too narrow and we neglect building up treasures in Heaven, have we really done our job as parents? What good are European vacations, a fancy car, an enviable house, designer clothing, a prestigious education, or a sizeable inheritance if we have not provided our children a legacy of virtue.

I can tell you it is a challenge to live in America’s wealthiest county and keep my family trained in justice, prudence, temperance, and fortitude. I appreciate Father reminding me I have a personal and a parental responsibility to seek the treasures of Heaven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You live in Marin County, California? I thought you lived in VA? :-)

Highest-income counties in the United States

Catholic Mom said...

I guess it depends on your data source. In any case, there are lots of kids around here with an abundance of material wealth yet are mired in spiritual poverty.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this, Denise. I find that I have to remind myself, quite often, that they're not MY children...they are gifts on loan to me. What you wrote and Father's homily are a great reminder about what these children are on loan for me FOR. :)