KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Prayers answered...But Wait--There's More!

We had our second meeting of The Apostles study group on Sunday night. Our group is growing. I think we have about 15 or 16 participants. That is about the right size for a discussion group format. After some initial stumbling at getting the word out, I think we have our act together and things are running pretty smoothly. The study guide by Amy Welborn is very good. I find it most helpful to read the study guide first then read the book. This serves to focus my reading on the key points. I am very grateful to the Holy Spirit for stirring the hearts of those who are attending.

Of course with prayers answered for that project, I am emboldened to pray for my next project. As part of teaching seventh-grade CCD, I am inviting the parents in on occasion for some parent/child catechesis. I did this back in September for our second class session and used Cardinal Arinze’s presentation on the five pillars of a Catholic family. I am inviting them again for next Monday’s class and will be talking about bringing the Liturgical Calendar into our family lives. I presented the invitation as a “Happy New Year” event since we will be getting ready for the start of the new liturgical year with the beginning of Advent. I think this is the perfect time to introduce the elements of celebrating the liturgical year in our homes. So please join me in prayer that the Holy Spirit will once again stir the hearts of my students’ parents and they will join our class next Monday and be open to bringing the seasons of the Church into their homes.

4 comments:

frival said...

You're an inspiration to the rest of us who would like to see this in their own parishes. Keep up the great work and keep letting us know how it goes - I'm hoping to, um, use your ideas sometime down the road.

David Jackson said...

Our parish has started a program called Sunday Night Live. It's an adult faith formation program. We are now requiring the parents of kids in sacramental preparation classes to attend this program. While the kids are in their class...the parents are in one of their own. It's really working out well. Good luck with your endeavor.

Ebeth said...

How wonderful....I am really gleening much from you, Dr. Hunnell. I will be praying for your continued efforts as a caring catechist.

Ebeth

Anonymous said...

I also am starting a group using The Apostle book and study guide. Any suggestions? I have read the first two chapters and going directly to the scripture that are referenced. We will start our group with about 6 ladies. Next Wed is our first gathering.
Beth