KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Maybe I shouldn't have called them Jesuits

I am not sure if yesterday’s seventh-grade CCD class was successful or not. This was our last session before Christmas break. There were no parties or celebrations since the entire diocese is trying to emphasize that Advent is a time of waiting and preparation and Christmas is a season not a day. We will have a Christmas party during the liturgical Christmas season. I didn’t think my students were up for a didactic lecture as they anticipated Christmas break. So I made a set of at least 75 “Jeopardy” style answers based on the lessons we have covered so far this year. I also included a few questions on saints I have mentioned in class. I divided the class into two teams by putting those with even birthdates on one side and those with odd birthdates on the other. The even birthdates were called the Franciscans and the odd birthdates were the Jesuits.

Let me tell you the Franciscans spanked the Jesuits. And it wasn’t just that they knew more. They cared more. This was an open book process so as I read the question the Franciscans were busily scouring their books for answers. The Jesuits had two students who tried very hard, but the rest were clearly uninterested and thought their ignorance was enormously entertaining.

So I guess I can conclude that seven Franciscans and two Jesuits actually learned something through the game last night. Five Jesuits had an alternative agenda. Hmmm…..That sounds far too much like the real state of Franciscans and Jesuits. I wonder if things would have worked out differently if I had named the teams Franciscans and Dominicans.

3 comments:

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Now there's a thought!

Barb, sfo said...

Thank you for the compliment! :)
BTW, I do have an "even" birthday. LOL!
Sounds like your young "Franciscans" were faithfully emulating St. Bonaventure.

Kitchen Madonna said...

I love it, I love it!