KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Monday, February 11, 2008

Humble Gifts are still Worthy Gifts

Today I found my “Lenten desert” in the waiting room of the doctor’s office. My daughter is getting a sports physical. Rather than being perturbed at the predictable delay I am enjoying this time for reflection that I would have struggled to fit into my day otherwise. Today’s Magnificat offered these words:

It is not for those who are good alone to help Christ; it is most of all for sinners, for the weak, the hesitating even the selfish, to force themselves to take up the cross; and in the cross of Christ, even those who seem to be lost find salvation and joy.

Every day, hidden under our sins, abject in his need, Christ says to the sinners who put out a hand or speak a word to help him: “This day you shall be with me in paradise!”

--Caryll Houselander (British mystic, poet, and spiritual teacher)


How many times have I hesitated to help because I didn’t think my contribution would be significant enough? How many times have I said, “I am not qualified enough to help. Leave this to someone who has more skill, someone who is richer, or someone who is holier.” How many times has pride kept me from helping because I was afraid my efforts would look foolish?

So rather than judging my charity by my prediction of its success, I pray today that I may freely offer whatever I am able to give to any who are in need. My humble efforts, however inadequate, are graciously accepted by Christ.

2 comments:

diyfather.com said...

Hi - have just come across your site. I'm Scott from www.diyfather.com - we are an online interactive forum for fathers based in New Zealand.

I was wondering whether you might be interested in a link exchange or posting a monthly summary of father related issues from our blog.

Please reply to scott@diyfather.com

Thanks Scott

frival said...

Amen! That is indeed something I think we all struggle with - some more often than others. Sometimes a little prick reminding us of the widow's mite is needed, and what better time than Lent for that reminder?