KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Rise and Do Not Be Afraid

Then Peter said to Jesus in reply,
“Lord, it is good that we are here.
If you wish, I will make three tents here,
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
While he was still speaking, behold,
a bright cloud cast a shadow over them,
then from the cloud came a voice that said,
“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased;
listen to him.”
When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate
and were very much afraid.
But Jesus came and touched them, saying,
“Rise, and do not be afraid.”

The account of the Transfiguration offers so many different points for reflection. What struck me as I listened to this reading this morning, was that Jesus provided reassurance to his Apostles when they trembled at the sound of the voice of God. Perhaps it was because we were seated behind two nuns wearing habits, but this scene brought to mind vocations. God calls each of us to a vocation. He calls us to different tasks throughout our lives. Sometimes, we hear his voice and just tremble. “You can’t really mean that, God. How can I possibly do that. I must have misunderstood. You must mean for me to do this instead.” Yet, Jesus is there to touch our shoulder and say, “Rise, and do not be afraid.” Certainly we find Jesus through prayer. However, we also find Him in the Eucharist. Through this Sacrament, Jesus continues to nourish and strengthen us so that we can confidently respond to God’s voice.

No comments: