KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Doctors of Life in a Culture of Death

This article at First Things resonates loudly with me.

In November 2007, the Committee on Ethics of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) published Committee Opinion # 385 entitled, “The Limits of Conscientious Refusal in Reproductive Medicine.” The committee opinion sought to “maximize accommodation of an individual’s religious or moral beliefs while avoiding imposition of these beliefs on others or interfering with the safe, timely, and financially feasible access to reproductive health care that all women deserve.”

Unfortunately, the balance struck by the committee between the right of conscience of physicians and the reproductive health care of women so emphasizes patient autonomy that it turns physicians into medical automatons forced to act against their best ethical and medical judgment. As pointed out on March 14, 2008, by Health and Human Services secretary Mike Leavitt: “The ACOG ethics report would force physicians to violate their conscience by referring patients for abortions or taking other objectionable actions, or risk losing their board certification.” Put simply, committee Opinion 385 could be the end of the pro-life doctor.


I am not an OB-GYN doctor. I was trained and board certified as a family physician. But, it was this sort of thinking that made it very easy to walk away from clinical medicine. (this sort of thinking coupled with dealing with insurance companies and the ever present threat of lawsuits) As part of an Air Force family on the move I was never in a position to set up my own practice. I was always an employee. I wanted to practice medicine in a way that left me free to be the mother I wanted to be and to be true to my Catholic principles. After we made our last move I just didn’t see the point of collecting yet another state license (I’ve had eight so far) when the prospects of finding a part-time out-patient only job that would allow me to adhere to my conscience were virtually non-existent. You can’t just walk in and say, “I want to work part-time; you pay the malpractice coverage and the tail coverage; I am not going to prescribe contraceptives or refer patients for vasectomies and tubal ligations. I won’t refer for abortions. I won’t prescribe the morning-after pill; etc.” From all accounts, my previous employers and patients thought I was a great doctor. But I wasn’t great enough to go anywhere and make those kinds of demands.

I have no regrets. It was the right time in our lives for me to leave clinical practice. I have moved to the writing and teaching mode and hopefully will be getting some advanced training in the field of bioethics. However, I worry about the younger doctors that follow me. Actually, I worry more about the bright, principled potential doctors who turn away from this profession because they don’t see it as compatible with their ethical standards. The Catholic Medical Association offers support and serves as a voice for Catholic physicians. But I don’t think the controlling forces of America’s medical machine are listening.

St. Luke, Pray for us!

3 comments:

Elm said...

Interesting report...this caught my eye....

"In Virginia, a 42-yr old mother of two was refused a prescription for EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION, became pregnant, and ultimately underwent an abortion she tried to prevent by requesting EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION."

How did the Committee on Ethics let "emergency contraception" make it to print with out laughing out loud?

What is the medical definition of emergency contraception?

If "emergency abstinence" were prescribed would that successfully avoid the need for an abortion?

Catholic Mom said...

Actually, the term "emergency contraception" refers to the morning after pill. What does the Church teach about "emergency contraception"? In the case of rape, a woman has experienced the physical violence of the rape. She is not required to conceive from this act. The emergency contraception can be administered if it can be determined by a laboratory test that the woman has not ovulated so that there is no risk of disrupting an already established pregnancy. To do otherwise risks using the "emergency contraception" as an abortifacient. This is the issue in the legal challenge in Massachusetts. Catholic hospitals are being required to administer the morning after pill to rape victims without first testing for ovulation. The Catholic hospitals asked to be able to do this testing first and administer the pill only to those women who had not already ovulated thereby using this method strictly as contraception and not as an abortifacient. This request was denied by the Massachusetts courts.

In the case cited in the ACOG document, there was no mention of rape so one assumes this was a case of morning after regret.

Julie Byrne said...

Hi,

You do know about The Tepeyac Family Center and McLean Pediatrics? Both are staffed with Pro-Life Doctors (no contraception, abortion, sterilazations, etc.), and there's a new firm handling mal-practice insurance for them at a decreased rate because the stats show that Pro-Life Doctors get sued less often as a group. You can go to their, Tepeyac's, website for more details.