KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, April 11, 2008

Hope to Begin Again

Hence there are also disputes, disagreements, and controversies among saints. And I find this very comforting, because we see that the saints have not “fallen from Heaven.” They are people like us, who also have complicated problems.

Holiness does not consist in never having erred or sinned. Holiness increases the capacity for conversion, for repentance, for willingness to start again and, especially, for reconciliation and forgiveness.--Pope Benedict XVI discussing the disagreement between Paul and Barnabas in his book, The Apostles

Actually, what I find quite comforting is that Pope Benedict finds this quite comforting. If the Holy Father is seeking solace for his imperfections I shouldn’t feel too bad that I don’t feel like I have it all together either.

The past few days have been pretty harried. Nothing too major. A home improvement project is sputtering. A child came home with that dreaded announcement: “I have a school project”. The dog is alternating between acting like a two-year-old and acting like a teenager. (Actually, those two are not that different) My patience is stretched to a fine thread. I would not use the word “charitable” to describe some of my responses lately. But there is hope for my quest of holiness—if only I am willing to repent, reconcile, forgive, and start again.

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I find it comforting too. Nice post.