KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Gardening Dream

I have always dreamed of having a garden with such an abundance of flowers that I can cut all the bouquets my heart desires and still have flowers adorning the outside garden. This year my dream is realized. When we moved into this house four years ago, the steeply sloped back yard was covered with a prickly cypress ground cover. Yuck! Most of it died after the first winter we were here so I relished ripping those plants out. But with what do I replace them? I love perennials because I want something that will be fruitful and multiply. It has been slow going since I am contending with heavy clay soil, deer, and bunnies. It is still a work in progress but this summer I am reaping armfuls of daisies as well as hydrangeas, coneflowers, lilies. Take a look!(click on the pictures for a better view)
This is the view from my deck.




Most of the daisies in the back came from this bed in our side yard. See the yellow canna lilies as well?





As we move closer you can see that there are more than just daisies. Click on the picture and you will see the purple butterfly bush, blanket flowers, speedwell, a white easter lily, and hints of yellow coreopsis and red bee balm.


The speedwell (also known as Veronica) is the blue flower on the left. The blanket flowers are the yellow and orange flowers on the right.






From this angle you can see the purple clematis, a few yellow coreopsis and the bee balm (aka monarda). The bee balm flower always reminds me of a Dr. Suess illustration. I have both vivid red bee balm and a more maroon variety.


The hydrangeas are in full bloom on the other side of the house and they also make gorgeous bouquets.

I have both mophead and lace cap varieties. I didn't plant these. They came with the house. What a bonus!


But the real bonus is being able to add these splashes of color to cheer the inside of my home.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Beautiful!! I can't wait to do more planting next year.

Sarah Reinhard said...

It's like I'm enjoying my cup of coffee with you. Lovely, simply lovely!