KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

McDonald's Does Not Make Me Smile

I can’t remember the last time I ate at McDonald’s but I can tell you there will be no McDonald’s in my future as long as they equate opposition to same-sex “marriage” and opposition to the gay agenda as hatred.

The American Family Association (AFA) launched the boycott yesterday because McDonald's joined the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce several months ago and placed an executive on the group's board of directors, in addition to donating to the chamber.

The association asked McDonald's to remove itself from the chamber but the burger-maker declined, leading to the boycott. "We're saying that there are people who support AFA who don't appreciate their dollars from the hamburgers they bought being put into an organization that's going to fight against the values they believe in," Tim Wildmon, the association's president, said yesterday.

"Hatred has no place in our culture," McDonald's USA spokesman Bill Whitman said. "That includes McDonald's, and we stand by and support our people to live and work in a society free of discrimination and harassment."

You can watch McDonald’s commercial supporting the gay pride march in San Francisco here.

For those of you with children, let me assure you that participating in this boycott will make a very positive impression on your children. Depending on their ages, you don’t have to go into great detail as to why you no longer eat at McDonald's. All you have to say is they are now supporting ideas and actions that go against the teaching of the Catholic Church.

Many years ago when my children were elementary-school age and below, Cheerios cereal was a pantry staple. Then we found out General Mills was a supporter of Planned Parenthood. I stopped buying General Mills products and my children did not participate in the “Box tops for Education” promotion. The Catholic schools in our diocese stopped participating in this promotion as well. It was tough for my kids to give up this breakfast favorite. But it also taught my children that all of our actions must be consistent with our Catholic principles. Now that my children are young adults, they each tell me that the boycott of Cheerios made an important impact on their view of faith in action. I am sure that those of you who forgo Happy Meals will teach a similar lesson.

5 comments:

Milehimama said...

Whoa! I had no idea that General Mills donated to PP. Do they still, and are they on the boycott list?

Anyone having a hard time giving up McD's - watch that documentary, Supersize Me. You'll have no problems skipping the Big Mac after that!

Michelle said...

I had already started my own boycott of McD's several months ago (for other pro-G&L activities). But last month, I read this touching story about a Catholic family who just lost their infant daughter. The day the baby died, they ate at McD's, because the had stayed at a McDonald's house while their daughter was hospitalized.

I just can't get around the notion that most companies have policies or support things that are wrong. I feel hypocritical boycotting one when others are just as bad (and I'm just ignorant). I personally try not to eat out often at all (unless it's a child-free date night). I guess we're stuck with Chick-Fil-A only? What to do?

Barb, sfo said...

General Mills does NOT still boycott McD's....they have been off the boycott list for years. I also ended our school's participation in Box Tops until Big G was off the boycott list.

Catholic Mom said...

Michelle,
It would be overwhelming to try and research the provenance of every purchase or company. So I try to respond to those companies that move past their corporate right to determine benefits for their employees and into political activism for causes that I find objectionable. When McDonald's puts money towards a parade that displays lewd behavior or an organization that advocates for practices that I find morally objectionable, I express my displeasure with my pocketbook. I spend my money elsewhere. I admit I also factor in how much of a teachable moment the boycott provides. Making my kids give up Cheerios and Lucky Charms made an impact that boycotting a particular manufacturer of paper clips would not.

Michelle said...

I think I'm just frustrated that these efforts are in vain anyway. I boycotted Tyson Chicken for years only to learn that the other brand I was buying was, in fact, also owned by Tyson.

Of course, deep down, I know boycotts do work (or at least that they can). I call to mind the boycott of American Girl which did cause them to drop their relationship with an organization which supported abortion.

I guess I'm just being cynical. I'll stop now.